www.flickr.com

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Perhaps one of the longest days ever

What happened in the morning and afternoon seem rather inconsequential at this point in time. It was what happened at the end of the day that really got me.

The girls and I had gone to have a very nice dinner with Liz and Val. A single girls night out so to speak since Bill had a work function and Andrea was playing hockey. During dinner Sam managed to spill most of a bowl of miso soup on herself and we still had shopping to do after dinner. Sooooo, when we got to the mall I pulled Sam into the front of the car, changed her clothes, and proceeded to get out of the car to get Riley. In a sequence of events that happened faster than I could ever believe Sam hit the lock buttons on the car, hopped out, and the door got shut locking Riley in the car, strapped in her carseat.

At this point in time I was very thankful for 2 things. First, that it was not a hot, sunny, summer day and second, that Liz was with me. Having Liz there enabled me to stay right by Riley's side, who was rather distressed and crying at this point. Liz got mall security who in turn called the fire department.

After 3 hours (really about 20 minutes), they were finally able to open the car door and set my baby free. Even though nothing horrible happened, and realistically she was not in danger, it was still horrible. That was my baby in there and I couldn't get to her.

The girls told the story over and over last night on the way home, then to Bill when we got here, and once again this morning when they woke up. Their version goes something like this:
Sam: I push button, lock Riley in car. Firefighters come, help Riley.
Riley: Yeah, firefighters get me out.
Sam: I don't push buttons again.
Both: Firefighters help other people too.

They both got stickers and are no worse for wear.

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

At 25 April, 2007 09:28, Blogger Seajade said...

How Scary! Thank goodness for a happy ending and for those wonderful firefighters.

 
At 25 April, 2007 12:01, Blogger amy said...

The girls' version makes me laugh, but omg, I'm SO sorry that happened! How absolutely horrifying.

 
At 25 April, 2007 15:27, Blogger andrea said...

man, that sucked hearing about it all over again. =/

 
At 25 April, 2007 16:16, Blogger snarfdog said...

Yep, the girls crack me up. They have a magic way of making everything seem better.

 
At 25 April, 2007 22:28, Blogger heather said...

no buttos!
how stressful. glad the men in hats came so quickly for you!

 
At 26 April, 2007 16:43, Blogger McJedi said...

Yay, men in hats! I'm glad it all worked out in the end.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home