www.flickr.com

Thursday, April 27, 2006

A Poet in the Making

As many of you know, we have been teaching the girls sign language since they were about 9 months old. Currently they know somewhere around 75 to 80 signs, maybe more. They do a pretty good job of communicating what they can't say, but using signs which leads me to my little poet.

This week Riley totally surprised me with an imaginative leap of logic. I have a diamond heart necklace that Bill gave me and that I always wear, day and night. The girls have been noticing it for a long time, and at least once a day do inventory.

Girls: Heart?
Me: yes, that's my heart necklace.
Girls: Daddy do? (Translated that means, "Did Daddy give that to you?")
Me: yes, Daddy gave that to Mommy

Sometimes this continues on to my rings, sometimes not.

This week however, it lead to something quite new. Riley made a poetic leap that totally surprised for someone who is not yet two, and she had to sign part of it to help get her point across. Basically, we had the same conversation, but after the heart question she started signing star and pointing at the stones on my necklace. I didn't get it at first, but finally I asked her if she thought they looked like stars and she very happily nodded her head, and said, "Stahs" (stars). it was followed up with, "Daddy, stahs", which she confirmed meant Daddy gave Mommy stars. My little imaginitive one has already linked diamonds with stars, and the fact that Daddy gave Mommy stars.

I'm in trouble, or more precisely Bill is in trouble, and any future date is in trouble.

2 Comments:

At 27 April, 2006 10:27, Anonymous Anonymous said...

cool. can I send them jewelry? :D

 
At 27 April, 2006 13:01, Blogger snarfdog said...

Absolutely. Just make sure they have diamonds. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home