www.flickr.com

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Root Beer Rumble Day II

Ok, last night we tried two more samples from our root beer collection, and while I originally thougt Briar would place lowest, this is proving to not be true. Last nights fare was Sea Dog Old Style Root Beer and Dad's Classic Draft Root Beer. Sea Dog appears to have been another version of Briar, sugar water with a just a splash more root beer flavoring. Don't get me wrong, these are both tolerable though nothing I would seek out in the future. The third sample was Dad's. I'm telling you, Dad should have washed his feet before stomping those little root beer berries into juice. This pick was so bad, that I couldn't even finish (nor make a dent in) my 6 oz. sample. So far I'd have to rank this one the bottom of the barrel, and I'm hoping and praying that none of the others takes that place. I just couldn't take another sampling like that. On a scale of 1 to 5 bottles, this was a serious 10 bottles down.

An interesting note in this taste test is that 1/2 the samples are made with cane sugar while the other half are made with corn syrup. I have only tasted the cane sugar samples to date, so I'm really hoping that the corn syrup samples fare better.

6 Comments:

At 01 February, 2006 12:35, Blogger andrea said...

i'll have to get you some from rock bottom brewery to see how it ranks. i like it but it's a little too sweet and flat sometimes.

 
At 01 February, 2006 14:42, Blogger heather said...

bring on the corn! syrup that is.
thanks for the scientific study. i don't think i've ever had dad's. and now i never will.

 
At 01 February, 2006 20:25, Blogger snarfdog said...

Oh yes, bring me the Rock Bottom Brewery. I like the name and we need to broaden the field a little.

See ya tomorrow corn (syrup).

 
At 02 February, 2006 08:58, Blogger Seajade said...

Can you trust your taste with a sore throat and stuffy nose? Lets hope so or you could be disappointed down the road. On another note, bring on the A&W! Its the original.

 
At 02 February, 2006 10:13, Blogger snarfdog said...

Yeah, we waited till the sore throat and congestion were gone to start the tasting. (I can't drink carbonated stuff when I have a sore throat - I know, that's freakish.) We're saving the A&W for one of the last tastings as it appears to be a favorite.

 
At 02 February, 2006 10:15, Blogger snarfdog said...

Oh yeah, we also have two tasters, and so far we have been agreeing on the results, so I don't think they're skewed - at least not for us. Maybe if you took it to a panel of 100 tasters you might get a different result, but we're very self serving here and only care about our results. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home