www.flickr.com

Thursday, January 05, 2006

Diaper Emergency

Tonight Bill and I decided to go out to eat, and not at McDonalds either. We went for sushi. Before we could get to the restaurant Riley filled her pants. No problem, we'll just go to the restroom and change her diaper, right? Wrong. Oh so very wrong.

I took Riley into the bathroom, and there wasn't a changing table, but there was a triangular ledge that was just about big enough. I can improvise with the best of them, so diaper pad out, baby on pad, pants off, diaper off, bottom wiped, no clean diaper. Apparently the last person to use the diaper bag used the last diapers and did not refill. What to do? Can't put a poopy diaper back on, can't go without a diaper, maybe we can MacGyver the situation. Tried peeling inner layer of diaper off, no dice. Firmly attached to next layer, no problem, I'll remove a little more - big problem. That silica stuff they pack in boxes to absorb moisture, that's the type of stuff that's in the middle of diapers and which I have just exposed. Definitely can't use that diaper, toss it. Ok, now what to do? Thinking, thinking, thinking. I've got it. There's a receiving blanket, a t-shirt, and a baggie (had diaper wipes in it) in the diaper bag. Make diaper out of blanket, stuff it with t-shirt (it was pink, how suitable that it would be used to trap bodily refuse), and used the baggie as a plastic moisture barrier in case she urinated. That way her pants wouldn't get wet.

Pants back on, hands washed, back out to the restaurant. After a quick discussion with Bill we decided the situation was under control, we could finish dinner and make it back home safely before any blowouts occurred. Luckily the stars were with us, and we did. Bill giggled uncontrollably when we got home, and he took Riley's "diaper" off to put on a fresh one, and get her ready for bed.

Lesson learned. (I know, it should have been obvious, but even if the diaper bag is empty we usually have a few backups in the car. We didn't this time because I had just cleaned out the car - doh!)

6 Comments:

At 06 January, 2006 00:59, Blogger Viv said...

Impressive diaper-fu! *clap clap clap*

 
At 06 January, 2006 07:33, Blogger Rich said...

Way to go Mac!! You got skills that pay the bills. Thanks for the tip! I wonder if I could have came out the victor if faced with the same problem. Oh dear god I hope so.

 
At 06 January, 2006 09:27, Blogger Jennie said...

OMG, I was on the edge of my seat. Seriously!

For future reference, I believe in the sisterhood of mothers. More than once, I asked a passing mother for a diaper and was given one willingly; likewise, I have given them to others. (Except when Mr. FancyPants potty-trained himself and we had none to give.)

 
At 06 January, 2006 19:00, Blogger heather said...

nice story! i think your nickname SHOULD be macgyver.

 
At 09 January, 2006 11:58, Blogger andrea said...

wow, definitely impressive diaper-fu! me, i would rolled her around and around with toilet paper until she looked like a sumo wrestler. =D

 
At 12 January, 2006 14:51, Blogger Rich said...

Hey Mac!! Perhaps you could find a tricky way to blog something new!!! Harro! New!! Blog!!! Huh!! Are your boots made for blogging? He he he thanks andrea!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home