www.flickr.com

Thursday, August 18, 2005

I know you've heard this rant before, but I just have to say again, "Why must girls be pink, poufy, and trained for housework?"

Ok, maybe I'm a little over sensitive to this subject since I have little girls, but in reality I view them as little people, free to make their own decisions on who/what they want to be.

This came to mind again today because I was casually watching another of those home improvement shows where they were redoing a little girls playroom. The entire room was done in bubblegum pink which is ok for some people I guess, but the rest of it all got to me. They had a kitchen corner with an "adorable" refriderator, a "cute" little stove and an ironing board because "every little girl needs a place to do her pretend ironing." I was thinking, "Lets pretend I didn't hear that degrading sexist remark." How about the little boys out there? Don't they need nicely pressed imaginary clothes too? Or are the little girls supposed to take care of that for them. In addition to the kitchen, they had a tea party area, a dress up area, and a dance area, but nowhere did they have a single piece of sporting equipment, a truck, a car, or anything to build with. I can't believe in this day and age that we are still sending this kind of message to girls.

So once again I must say, "Rise up out of your cribs baby girls, throw off those pink blankets, rip off the ruffles and bows, and go out and bruise your knees climbing trees, get stitches in your chin from falling off your bike, get a black eye playing baseball, but don't ever let them tell you it's not ladylike to behave that way. I say it's not ladylike to not behave that way.

4 Comments:

At 19 August, 2005 14:17, Anonymous Anonymous said...

(sigh) You truly deserved boys who play with spiders and bring them to you.

 
At 19 August, 2005 14:28, Blogger andrea said...

heh, that's why the aunties buy clothes in blue. =D

 
At 19 August, 2005 17:17, Blogger snarfdog said...

And we appreciate that. :D

 
At 19 August, 2005 17:18, Blogger snarfdog said...

As for the spiders, I could do without them. The boys I probably would have dressed in pink. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home