www.flickr.com

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Credit Card Madness

I received a call today from one of my credit card companies. According to them I am 33 days late on paying my bill. Now I know, you're thinking to yourself, "So pay the bill, what's the big deal?" Here's the big deal.

In May I had a zero balance, nada, nothing due. I also requested that they cancel this particular card as the interest is ridiculously high. Not only did they not cancel it, but they charged me a $50 annual fee!! To add insult to injury, they have now charged me 2 months of late fees bringing my total to $118 (how they figure that, I don't know.) In any case, it took me 15 minutes to get to this point. Here is a brief snippet of the convo up till then.

Credit Card Billing Guy (to be known as CCBG): Did you know your credit card is 33 days overdue.

Me: No, how could this be when I cancelled it.

CCBG: I do show you had a zero balance in May, but you still have to pay the monthly minimum.

Me: On what?

CCBG: There is a $35 minimum monthly payment on that card.

Me: On what? There is no balance on that card, what am I paying on.

CCBG: There is a $35 minimum monthly payment due every month.

Me: This isn't making any sense. How can I possibly have a $35 minimum payment due on a card that I cancelled with a ZERO balance.

CCBG: I don't know, I can't access your account right now.

Anyhow, the net of it was, he gave me a long distance number to call to talk to customer relations to have the charges reversed (that I didn't authorize to start with) and to have the account closed. How lame is that?

And I didn't even have the pretty platinum card - maybe that was the problem.

3 Comments:

At 10 August, 2005 16:39, Blogger Viv said...

According to Liz, what you want it the RED card. Maybe *that* was the problem!

Despite the $35 minimum on a zero balance making no sense, I'm not all that surprised. So sad!

 
At 10 August, 2005 19:20, Blogger snarfdog said...

Yeah, I finally got a call back from a very nice guy who cancelled the card, the annual fee, late fees, and interest. Hopefully he did.

 
At 11 August, 2005 13:59, Blogger -april said...

You might want to check your credit history in a month or so and confirm that the credit card was truly closed. You don't want any more surprises in the future...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home