www.flickr.com

Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Wimp Mom and the MRI

Today our little Sammi had the MRI of her head to rule out any abnormalities that might be causing the seizures. We had to be at the hospital at the unGodly hour of 6:00 A.M. for pre-procedure physical, sedation, IV placement, etc. Sam was very confused by all of this.

First of all, Mom wakes her up at 5:20 in the morning, throws her in the bathtub, refuses to feed her (couldn't because of the sedation), Grandma and Grandpa arrive to watch Riley, and then she is put in her carseat for a ride with Mom and Dad, no Riley. She seemed a little puzzled by this as she kept looking over at Riley's seat both on the way to the hospital and home.

I won't bore you with the details except to say that we were told by no less than 5 people that we would not be allowed to stay with Sammi during the MRI because our presence was NOT needed. (We hadn't even asked if we could stay when this onslaught started.) Some day I hope to get one of their kids or relatives in my NICU where their presence won't be needed while I do scarey things to their children, except I'm not that kind of a person. Oh that I were.

By the time they finally took her for the MRI, she was desperately trying to get into my shirt, sticking her hands down it, pulling at it, screaming at it, and I think she was even trying to stick her head in it. I know - you're thinking why wasn't Bill holding her? Well, it was even worse with him holding her - she howled like there was no tomorrow. I guess if you can't have the boob, you ought to at least be close to it.

As for me, once again I was fine the whole time until they kicked me out of the room while my poor baby was lying there sedated. I stood out in the hall and cried like the wimp I am because I couldn't stay with her and protect her like a good mom should. I also managed to scare Bill as he's worried about what's going to happen when we have to send the girls to school and I have to leave both of them on the same day. He claims he's going to be in Bavaria on that day, in the mountains. I calmly reminded him that this is why I want to home school them. ;)

In any case, Sam seems to have my constitution when it comes to medicine. In other words, she's a light weight. Riley was waking up out of the anaestesia almost immediately upon reaching recovery. With Sam, it took her about the full hour they said it would. Then the foolish people tried to get her to drink water when all she wanted was the boob. They finally saw it her way and let her nurse. Shortly after that they removed the IV, EKG leads and oxygen monitor and allowed us to dress her and take her home. She's still a little groggy, had a good nap, and seems to be fine at this time.

We'll post anything as soon as we know.

2 Comments:

At 07 June, 2005 16:01, Blogger -april said...

I'm sorry to hear that my dr. friend was not able to help get in in there during the MRI.

 
At 07 June, 2005 16:33, Blogger snarfdog said...

Your friend was very nice though. One of the more personable people we met while there. I'm sorry to say that Packard claims they are family oriented and want to excel in service, but in reality they do neither. You wouldn't believe how much flack I get on my unit for trying to keep my babies and their parents together as much as possible. The anaestiologist that did this procedure was the same one that did Riley's. She didn't even remember us. I know she does hundreds of these a year, but I would think that being another Packard employee she might have remembered. Oh well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home