www.flickr.com

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Religious upbringing. Is it for you?

A few weeks ago I was asked to sit on a parents panel for our local twins group regarding education. That meeting takes place tonight. There are going to be representatives from as many types of schools as possible including public, private, and parochial. It got me to thinking about religion from another point of view - that of the agnostic, perhaps previously affiliated.

Many of my family and friends have stepped away from their church due to disagreements with the superiors in the church, the notion of one greater being, a mixed marriage in which neither side felt compelled to attend on their own, time commitments, perceived useless, or a number of other reasons. I too, left the church (in my case, Catholic) for a time because as a single parent I didn't feel welcome. It's like walking around with a giant red D(ivorced) on your chest. In hindsight, I wish I had not allowed myself to be intimidated in that manner.

As you may have guessed, I returned to the church, slowly but surely. Now I once again attend regularly as do my children. The reasons for this are multifold. The first being that I was raised within the church, and I think it's a large part of who I am. I truly learned kindness in the face of adversity, humility while still achieving my goals, love for my fellow earth dwellers, community, etc. Can you learn those things elsewhere? Absolutely. Is it nice to have the lessons of our youth reinforced outside of the home? Absolutely.

So how to deal with the parts of the church I disagree with? It's been a struggle, and I've had more than one person tell me I'm not Catholic because of my differing beliefs. I'm sure others have heard similar things about their faith. This weekend our Bishop came to speak to our congregation regarding a recent Bishops meeting, his thoughts, and where the church is headed. I had heard many things about this Bishop and was concerned that as a representative of the Catholic church he would be too far right for me, but I went, and I listened, and I was pleasantly surprised. He spoke of women one day being priests, he spoke of fertility treatments and birth control in a positive light, and he reminded everyone that in the end it comes down to your relationship with your God, not your relationship with your priest, your bishop, or even the Pope that you need to be worried about.

It reminded me that had everyone that disagreed with certain teachings of the church just walked away, then change would and will not happen. Vatican II, girls as alter servers, women allowed to attend mass, children involved in mass, etc? None of it would have come to pass just as there will be no future changes if we all just walk away. Now I'm not saying you should go down to your local church and start picketing the community. Far from it. I'm advocating change from within. I believe that's where it needs to come from.

For me, it's important that my children have a relationship with God. It's important that it's reinforced outside of the house, and it's important that they speak their minds when they disagree, and fight for change. For us this meant Catholic school, but it could very well have been public school supplemented by CCD classes. Either way I would have been happy.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 10 February, 2010 13:04, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's an interesting blog post. I liked it.

I have to say though that I left my church because it didn't speak to my soul and my spirit. It didn't feel like the truth deep down within me.

Does it shake my faith? No. I'm probably one of the most devout people you know. I speak with God, the Great Spririt each night in prayer and stop to listen to any messages that may come to me as well. I see beauty in His work all around me and thank Him for it often. I thank Him each and every day for the gifts He has given us. I honor the teachings and teach them to my children about how we treat one another in this world. But to go to church and listen to the bizarre opinions of someone who happens to be giving their take on religion just became tiresome when I felt it wasn't speaking to who I am and what I believe. It no longer felt like the truth.

So, in short, there are those of us who walked away because it just simply didn't feel "right" in our hearts and wanted to live our lives and teach our children what did feel right to us. What they choose to do with it, that's up to them and I will honor their thoughts and feelings and beliefs as they unfold.

 
At 20 February, 2010 10:24, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have really great taste on catch article titles, even when you are not interested in this topic you push to read it

 

Post a Comment

<< Home