Thursday, September 17, 2009

24 hours as a new kindergartner

Preparation for the first day of school starts the night before. Who are we kidding? It starts months before, probably even years. For the purpose of this post however, we'll start the night before.

The uniforms are all ready: Jumpers and shirts hanging on hangers,
Sweaters and pants neatly folded in drawers, and shoes shiny and new and waiting to be worn.

Their new alarm clock (complete with ceiling projection) is set for 6:30 A.M., yes 6:30 A.M. Ugh.
The girls have a bath and head to bed for a good nights sleep. Afterall, they have a busy day tomorrow.

Daddy makes blueberry pancakes, bacon, and deviled eggs, orange juice, and milk for breakfast their first day (He was worried about having enough protein.) Their lunches were packed and ready to go.

A quick photo shoot with Mommy and @aktse, (with much silliness) then into the car, and off to school they went.

Once at school there were many things to do starting with a scavenger hunt (Daddy read the list). First they had to find their cubby, and put their things inside.

Then they had to find the bathroom, the calendar,
and the under the sea reading area.
At this point the girls split the list. Riley went to the rug, and built a design with the shapes while Sam found a book from the rack for Daddy to read. Soon Riley joined Daddy and Sam to hear the end of the story.
Then it was time for the kids to sit on the rug, and for the Mommies and Daddies to leave, and begin their long wait (2 hours) until the end of the day.



still waiting...

Spying on the class as they take their class photo (this was taken through a volleyball net with my telephoto lens (thus the blurriness). The two short ones on the right? Those are mine.

waiting some more...

and still waiting...

Finally, it was time to pick them up. They were patiently (and quietly) lined up at the door until they were released,
and then out burst a group of excited and happy Kindergartners. A hug and kiss for Daddy,
a short stop to peek in on another mysterious room of the school, one last drink from the fountain,
and a quick goodbye to friends until tomorrow, a snack,
a peek in the science room, and it was finally time to head home, and prepare for day 2.
That first day was just 2.5 hours. 3 weeks later and they're up to 6 hour school days. Wow!
They're also just as interested in everything about the school, and they love their friends. I love the enthusiasm.

Labels: , , , , , ,


At 17 September, 2009 21:26, Blogger Linda said...

Well done! School looks like a lot of fun!

At 21 September, 2009 11:30, Blogger wen said...

How great! Love all the pics. They will have so much fun looking back on all this one day. :)


Post a Comment

<< Home