www.flickr.com

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Potty Training

Day 1:
We've had the potty seats in the house, and every so often the girls would ask to sit on them, but they were really more of a novelty than a tool. Today (yesterday now) was different. We decided to officially try the potty training thing. They got up in the morning and we dutifully put on their "pretty" new training pants (panties just like Mommy wears), and all was good for literally 20 seconds. Sam ran right into the bedroom, stood next to her crib, and wet her pants. It was all over her, all over the floor, but that's ok we expected accidents. I cleaned her up, reassurred her, and then told her next time maybe she could put her pee in the potty to which she promptly and firmly replied, "No" and shook her head. That was ok though, because I was more intent on Riley training than Sam. Riley has shown much more interest and readiness, Sam just wanted to wear the panties and I thought I was ok with that, but the ensuing onslaught of urine and feces marked spots in my house is beginning to change my mind.

Shortly after this incident, I found Sam buck naked saying, "Poooooo". Sure enough, there was poo in her panties which were across the room. Change number 2.

Riley went through 3 pairs of training pants in 45 minutes, but then seemed to get the idea. After cleaning up 3 seperate puddles on the floor, I was quite happy to see Riley sitting on her potty reading a book. When I walked up, she looked at me and said, "Potty." I of course praised her for potty sitting, and not wetting her pretty panties. Then the odor hit me. I checked the potty, no poo there. I looked on the floor, no poo there. I checked the panties, no poo there. Then I hear Sam from the other room saying, "Poooooo", and my heart sinks for I fear what I will find. I go in the other room, and there is the offending poo, on the floor by their toy shelf, slightly smeared, but mostly intact. I look at Sam who has poo all over her hands, and the realization that this is not going to be easy with two kids to potty train. I know, I know, I should have expected it, but I had to hope. Anyway, we washed Sam's hands, cleaned up Riley, put diapers on both, and dressed them (did I forget to mention they kept stripping down to nothing?), and put them in bed for naptime. During naptime I cleaned up 2 more puddles of pee and one spot of poo that I found, and seriously debated whether I wanted to continue this psychotic experiment when they awoke.

When they did get up, they came out to see their Aunt Cathy who was over to visit. In the course of the visit, Sam proceeded to show me all the places where she had spread her poo, pointing and repeating, "Pooooo, pooooo, poooooo". Apparently she had sat on both bikes, thank goodness the seats are plastic and cleaned up easy. There was poo on the floor, mopped it up. There was poo on a stuffed toy, tossed it into the laundry for later cleaning. There was poo smeared on the toy shelf and toy bins, cleaned it up.''

Put diapers on both girls, called it a day. They win.

Day 2:
2 pairs of panties wet through, 1 pile of poop on the floor. Heavy sigh.

The best part though was when they went down for their nap. After they were asleep, I peeked in only to find 2 completely buck naked babies sleeping in their cribs with all clothing, bedding, etc. thrown out. The only remaining item was Riley's training pants which she was hugging and laying on like a pillow. I carefully diapered each one without turning them over (they were on their tummies), covered them with blankets, tiptoed out of the room, and am not considering sitting down with a couple of shots followed by a beer back. I think they've won day two as well.

5 Comments:

At 11 April, 2006 16:30, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have two words of advice for you:

1. Summer
2. Outside

No hurry, mate.

 
At 11 April, 2006 17:26, Blogger heather said...

wow. poor snowflake! yeesh, good luck. altho it sounds like 2nd day was better, so maybe that's a good sign.

 
At 11 April, 2006 17:48, Blogger snarfdog said...

Hopefully it will get better, but sadly we can not wait for summer. The girls won't wait. They are continually stripping their clothes off, and if I don't get them to use the potties soon I'm going to be knee deep in urine and feces. Ugh.

 
At 12 April, 2006 11:56, Blogger andrea said...

LMAO, you wear training panties like the girls'? haha, i'm laughing my ass off but only becaues i don't have to deal with it...yet. =D

 
At 12 April, 2006 16:47, Blogger Jennie said...

I'll buy the first round. Potty training is hard!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home