www.flickr.com

Thursday, July 02, 2009

Sometimes you get a grounder, other times it's a grand slam.

Being a parent isn't easy. No one ever said it would be. It is one of the most challenging, and sometimes unrewarding things you can do, and you never quite know if you're doing it right. Most of us strive to help our children grow into the adults we wish we were the best adults they can be.

Why am I waxing poetic on this? Because yesterday I felt like I hit a grand slam. Not a grounder, not a base hit, not even a homerun, but a bonified grand slam. Most of you know that things have been tight here, and I've been losing hours at work. Recently this means that we're cutting back on some of the "necessities" of life like vacations, summer camps for the kids, science classes, and art classes. We've also been scrimping to find money to pay utility bills, rent, and for car repairs. Amazingly, none of my kids have complained about all this, though Sam and Riley have been packing their bags for Disneyland for over a week now. I've been trying to explain to them that we are not going, but I don't think they quite get it. They offered to give me the money from their coin banks to pay for the trip. So sweet, but I'm digressing. Back to the topic at hand.

Yesterday, on Facebook, my oldest posted a message saying she was doing something nice for her Mommy. In my mind I thought this meant she was going to dye her hair back to a uniform color, she got some shirts that covered a bit more of her skin, or that she was bringing me something simple like a piece of dark chocolate. Boy was I surprised when I found out what she had done. She had taken our car in to the shop on her time, and with her own money, and had the brakes repaired. I know she probably wanted a bigger response than what she got when she arrived home, but I didn't want to get all sappy and cry on her, so I thought I'd write it here instead. This was a fabulous thing for her to do, and really makes me feel like some of my parenting might be paying off. Or could it just be that she got here on her own? Either way, I'm very proud, pleased, and happy with her, and not just because I have brakes again, but because of the wonderfulness of her kind act and her thoughtfulness for another person. Thank you sweetie. I love you.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 02 July, 2009 15:27, Blogger Jennie said...

Aw! That is so sweet and thoughtful. Proud mom moment!

 
At 02 July, 2009 17:13, Anonymous Mari B. said...

Sniff, sniff. Ya done good! :0

 
At 02 July, 2009 17:20, Blogger McJedi said...

Wow, I agree. Having someone put that much thought into figuring out what kind of thing you could most use that would fit her time and budget, and making it *count* like that is a rare thing to see. Chocolate? Nice, but temporary, and doesn't really help in the long run. But brakes? Oh my, yes. You can tell she cares enough about you and your well-being to have put a lot of thought in.

Well done, Oldest! :-D

 
At 02 July, 2009 22:19, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Susan- What a wonderful thing your daughter did. And it's more than just the brakes. You obviously have had some impact on your daughters to have them turn out the way they have. Just goes to show you it doesn't matter what color hair you have or how much skin you show with your t- shirts. There are other things that are so much bigger. Your daughter should be commended. And you should give yourself a pat on the back too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home