www.flickr.com

Saturday, December 13, 2008

Gluton free? There's nothing free about it.

It's always irritated me just a little that schools have entire dietary policies in response to the restrictions/allergies of a few. It makes me want to send peanut butter sandwiches in my kids lunches followed up with some apple juice. (Good thing my girls don't do lunch at school.) I understand that some of these kids can have serious reactions, but to me it sends them a message that they don't have to take responsibility for their own well being, let the rest of the world do that. Anyway, I digress - a little.

I've offered to do a holiday cookie decorating activity for the girls preschool. As a courtesy I checked with the teacher to see if any of the kids had any dietary restrictions (I wanted them all to be able to participate.) As it turns out, one of the kids has a gluten allergy, so off I went to figure out how to make gingerbread cookies without gluten. (Only because it was my choice, and not required to do. The teacher did say the mom could provide an alternate item for her child, but this didn't seem fair to me.) And I digress again.

Anyway, Gluten free flour is ABOUT 10 TIMES THE COST OF REGULAR FLOUR and it requires Xanthem Gum which is about $25/lb!

All day today I've been trying to modify my recipe, find a new recipe, etc. to make gluten-free gingerbread cookies. So far I haven't even been able to come up with something I can roll out, and I'm burning through ridiculously expensive ingredients. I have to say I'm gaining a whole new appreciation for what these moms go through. Two thumbs up for all their hard work.

Update to follow with my final results. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 16 December, 2008 20:09, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know exactly what you mean. That is soo cool that you will be doing this project for the class. Not sure if I would have patience to do that. Tonight I decided to make snowman cookies with the girls for Thursday's last day of school. I found this brand that is dairy free, egg free and nut free. Wow!! What a task!! I'm deciding not to hand them out on Thursday, due to the fact "j" and "i" were sneezing and coughing all over them. Kinda nasty! Good Luck tomorrow!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home