www.flickr.com

Thursday, January 04, 2007

The nearly last shoulder update

How's that for a title? I know I have some of you rolling your eyes over that one. In any case, I am very close to the end of the story for my shoulder.

On Friday, Dec. 22nd I went in for shoulder surgery. The plan was to repair the rotator cuff, debride the area (clean it up and suction out the excess fluid build up), and file down the bone spur responsible for the impingement.

I have to give kudos to the hospital. I was thinking that having to show up 2 hours before your surgery was a little excessive, but they really didn't have any extra time to spare. I got there, they admitted me, started an IV, did my nerve block (gift from heaven, more on that later), took me into surgery, did their thing, on to recovery, and home. Bing, bam, boom, done.

I also have to give kudos to my surgeon, Dr. Tim McAdams. He's been great through this whole process. He really knows his stuff. He worked really hard with me through various methods of testing, PT, etc. to avoid surgery, and when the time came that it was obvious surgery was needed, he still didn't push. He really left things in my hands which was rather empowering and reassuring. Definitely not the normal surgeon, but a better surgeon.

It's been nearly two weeks since my surgery now, and things are mostly going well. I'm still confined to a sling (when I'm following orders) and have been mostly pain free (except when I do silly things like take my sling off and clean house.) I start post-surgery PT tomorrow. Will keep you posted.

2 Comments:

At 04 January, 2007 12:04, Blogger wen said...

best wishes for a speedy recovery!!

 
At 04 January, 2007 20:42, Blogger heather said...

ooh nerve block. i don't think they did that for min, so that would explain all the trouble she had. :-p i'm so glad yours has gone better than hers did! congrats on your successful healing to date!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home